It is possible to swim in the rock pools right underneath the Falls at certain times of the year (‘low water’). This is an unforgettable adventure right in the heart of one of the most beautiful places on earth!
The most awesome perspective to see the Victoria Falls is from the bottom of the gorge.
Swimming under the Victoria Falls in the rock pools, surrounded by the massive black basaltic rock towering up above you and the water cascading down, seemingly out of the sky, is an unforgettable experience!
Your trip starts with a walk down the beautiful Batoka Gorge. You will paddle across the ‘boiling pot’ in large inflatable rafts and get out right underneath the Victoria Falls. An experienced guide will accompany you to the nearest cascade. The view from here is amazing!
You have the opportunity to swim and relax in the rock pools right below the waterfalls!
Things to know about swimming under the Victoria Falls:
- No, you don’t have to be exceptionally fit to do this trip. A normal fitness level will do to walk down the gorge and do the paddling across to the Falls. Walking up the gorge is physically demanding, so take your time and make sure you drink enough water. Note that you will be walking over rocks (they can be slippery!); a good sense of balance is important.
- Yes, it is safe. We have taken extreme care to make this activity as safe as possible. You have a life jacket and helmet for the duration of the trip. In the unlikely event of something happening we have air rescue and professional medical staff on standby.
- Yes, you are allowed to take a small camera with you at your own risk. There is a dry bag in the raft, but we cannot take any responsibility for any of your electronic equipment. We have our own camera on the trip: photos are for sale.
- No, we don’t provide transfers to and from the Victoria Falls. You will meet your guide at the entrance to the Falls before walking down the gorge.
- Bottled mineral water and a soft drink is included. We also have some fruit and crisps as refreshments.
- We recommend wearing shorts, t-shirt and tennis shoes (or similar, sandals and hard soled shoes are not good on the rocks). If you have sensitive skin, please bring sun block.
- You may want to bring dry clothes to change into after the trip.
- The activity takes approximately 3 hours (depending on how long you take to walk up the gorge!)
- Departure Times: Runs daily (August to January depending on water level)
If you have not seen the Victoria Falls from below, you are missing out on a truly amazing adventure!